I finally got my hands on some of the Industrial terrain from the new Shadow War: Armageddon box set. Ever since I laid eyes on it, I knew we needed a set to play on. With our impending Inquisimunda Campaign, the timing was impeccable.

First of all, I am very, very impressed with the terrain itself. Every piece is highly detailed, and fits together in a near infinite number of combinations. A great deal of thought was put into making the terrain customizable, as any piece that looks like it could fit together, usually does. Furthermore, GW has gone to great lengths to make the terrain modular. It all fits together using a series of pegs and friction fitted joints, and can be taken apart and put back together in different combinations.

However, because I am planning on leaving my terrain at our local hobby shop for our local players to use, I had to build it sturdily, and in a way that avoids losing any little pieces. I decided to base the terrain, and super glue it all together. This means I lost a fair bit of customization, and the pieces are now static terrain features. On the flip side, it also means that the terrain is easier to use for Warhammer 40k tournaments, and I was able to add a bunch of extra piping and other details.

The piping is made using molds #320 and #321 from Hirst Arts. The boards are 1/8″ hardboard, cut in circles with a handheld jig saw. I added a few boxes and bits from other 40k Terrain sprues and Hirst Arts molds. Afterwards, I covered the bases in dollar store glue, play sand, and latex house paint for extra durability.

Painting the terrain presented a conundrum. With so much detail, it seemed like a shame not to put the time and effort into really showcasing the terrain’s potential. I could easily have spent all week airbrushing, highlighting, and weathering each piece.

Yet my desire to bring out each bit of detail conflicts with my terrain painting philosophy. I have always believed that the miniatures are the main attraction on the table, not the terrain. In my mind, the colours should be subtle and the painter should avoid emphasizing detail.

I have also built up a fairly significant backlog of other projects, so I wanted to paint the terrain all in one night. This seemed a bit ambitious, but with a clear idea of how I wanted them to look in my mind, I put on a netflix series in the background and got to work.

First, I sprayed all the plastic piece black. Then, I just dry brushed the hell out of it. First with a dark metallic colour for all the piping, and then successive layers of browns, reds, oranges, and beiges.

While the end result doesn’t really showcase GW’s impressive level of detail, I’m fairly happy with how they turned out.

One comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *